Sports Headlines - June 10



Fisher accepting coaching job with Knicks

The Oklahoma City Thunder will officially be without one of its veteran players next year as Derek Fisher announced yesterday he will accept the head coaching job for the New York Knicks.

The former Los Angeles Laker, who played under the current Knicks manager Phil Jackson, inked a five-year, $25 million deal with the New York squad and will most likely be in a tutelage-type position under Phil Jackson.

The Lakers had some interest in hiring Fisher for their coaching vacancy and Fisher never officially said whether he was going to retire from active play or not. Over the weekend, the Lakers announced they were no longer pursuing Fisher, then the announcement came late yesterday that he had inked the deal with New York.

Fisher’s relationship with Jackson is believed to be one of the factors that led him to choosing the Knicks. He won five titles while playing for Jackson in Los Angeles. A source close to Jackson said he was ‘ecstatic’ about landing Fish.


Sterling says 'No Deal,' refiles lawsuit against NBA, Silver

After seemingly giving in and consenting to the NBA sanctions and the sale of his soon-to-be former team, Donald Sterling announced last night that he will renig on his promise not to sue the league, and again announced he will pursue a $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver. He also said he has withdrawn his support for the sale of the team negotiated by his wife.

Sterling said his reasoning for re-opening the lawsuit was so he could protect his rights. In a letter that circulated widely among those involved in the sale, Sterling said, “While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.”

Sterling will also, most likely, challenge Shelly Sterling’s actions and negotiation of the sale in probate court today. However, no action had been taken as of last night.

Sterling ad his attorneys declined to comment on whether the NBA’s refusal to drop his lifetime ban and $2.5 million fine is the reason for his change of heart.


Kings take 'Quick' 3-0 series lead over Rangers in Stanley Cup Finals

NEW YORK (AP) — It turns out Jonathan Quick and the Los Angeles Kings are just as good with the lead as they
are without it.

That leaves the New York Rangers with little hope of making much of a series out of the Stanley Cup finals.

Quick stopped 32 shots in his best start of the series, Jeff Carter scored in the final second of the first period, Jake Muzzin and Mike Richards added goals in the second, and the Kings beat the Rangers 3-0 on Monday night to move within one win of their second Stanley Cup title in three years.

Los Angeles leads 3-0 and can claim the Cup on Wednesday night in New York. The Kings have already survived three Game 7s on the road, so this amount of success has their confidence soaring.

Quick hardly showed it when he took the podium wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

"I don't think it would be any different if we were down 3-0," Quick said. "We're just trying to win a game in a couple days here. That's the focus."

After the Rangers blew two-goal leads in each of the first two games of the championship round in Los Angeles, they came home and couldn't get anything going against Quick.

The All-Star was sharp early and in the middle when the Kings built their lead. Not even six power plays could jump-start New York's offense.

"We did a lot of things the right way," Quick said. "Now we get ready for the next one. The fourth one is always the most difficult."

Los Angeles escaped with two overtime wins at home and then took complete command inside Madison Square Garden.

 Follow 
Share
Kent Richards
Weekdays
Midnight-5AM